Zhiyong Tan, PhD
Assistant Research Professor
I am interested in ion channel and membrane excitability mechanism under normal and disease conditions.
|2005 - 2007||Postdoctoral Scholar | University of Iowa | Iowa City, IA | Mentor: FM Abboud|
|2002-2005||Postdoctoral Associate | Yale University | New Haven, CT | Mentor: RH LaMotte|
|1997-2002||Ph.D. Neurophysiology | Shanghai Institute of Physiology, Chinese Academy of Sciences | Shanghai, China|
|1993 - 1997||B.S. Physiology | Nanjing University | Nanjing, China|
My research has been focused on the ion channel and membrane excitability mechanisms at peripheral system. The ion channels studied include voltage-gated sodium, potassium, and calcium channels and acid-sensitive sodium and potassium channels. The roles of relevant ion channels have been studied in pain sensation at dorsal root ganglion (DRG), chemo-sensitivity at arterial chemoreceptors, hormone secretion in adrenal gland, and peripheral sympathetic activity at sympathetic ganglion, respectively. Currently, I am studying peripheral ion channel mechanisms in chronic pain conditions that are associated with chemotherapy drug -induced peripheral neuropathy (CIPN) and spinal cord injury (SCI).
- Tan ZY*, Priest BT, Krajewski JL, Knopp KL, Nisenbaum ES, Cummins TR. Protein Kinase C enhances human sodium channel hNav1.7 resurgent currents via a serine residue in the domain III-IV linker. FEBS Lett. 2014; 588(21):3964-9. (*, Corresponding author)
- Tan ZY, Piekarz AD, Priest BT, Knopp KL, Krajewski JL, McDermott JS, Nisenbaum ES, Cummins TR. Tetrodotoxin-resistant sodium channels in sensory neurons generate slow resurgent currents that are enhanced by inflammatory mediators. J Neurosci. 2014; 34(21):7190-7197.
- Hu C, Rusin CG, Tan Z, Guagliardo NA, Barrett PQ. Zona glomerulosa cells of the mouse adrenal cortex are intrinsic electrical oscillators. J Clin Invest. 2012; 122(6):2046-53.
- Tan ZY, Lu Y, Whiteis CA, Simms AE, Paton JF, Chapleau MW, Abboud FM. Chemoreceptor hypersensitivity, sympathetic excitation and overexpression of ASIC and TASK channels before the onset of hypertension in SHR. Circ Res. 2010;106(3):536-45.
- Tan ZY, Lu Y, Whiteis CA, Benson CJ, Chapleau MW, Abboud FM. Acid-sensing ion channels contribute to transduction of extracellular acidosis in rat carotid body glomus cells. Circ Res. 2007; 101(10):1009-19.
- Ma X, Bielefeldt K, Tan ZY, Whiteis CA, Snitsarev V, Abboud FM, Chapleau MW. Dual mechanisms of Angiotensin-induced activation of sympathetic neurons. J Physiol. 2006;573(Pt 1):45-63.
- Tan ZY, Donnelly DF, LaMotte RH. Effects of a chronic compression of the dorsal root ganglion on voltage-gated ion currents in cutaneous afferent neurons. J Neurophysiol. 2006;95(2):1115-23.
- Bingham JP, Bian S, Tan ZY, Takacs Z, Moczydlowski E. Synthesis of a biotin derivative of iberiotoxin: binding interactions with streptavidin and the BK Ca2+-activated K+ channel expressed in a human cell line. Bioconjug Chem. 2006;17(3):689-699.
- Chen J, Tan ZY, Zhao R, Feng XH, Shi J, Ji YH. The modulation effects of BmK I, an alpha-like scorpion neurotoxin, on voltage-gated Na(+) currents in rat dorsal root ganglion neurons. Neurosci Lett. 2005;390(2):66-71.
- Tan ZY, Chen J, Feng XH, Susumu T, Ji YH. Modulation of intracellular Na+ concentration by BmK AS, a scorpion toxin, in B104 cell line. Neuroreport. 2004;15(1):13-6.
- Tan ZY, Chen J, Shun HY, Feng XH, Ji YH. Modulation of BmK AS, a scorpion neurotoxic polypeptide, on voltage-gated Na(+) channels in B104 neuronal cell line. Neurosc lett. 2003; 340(2):123-6.
- Tan ZY, Xiao H, Mao X, Wang CY, Zhao ZQ, Ji YH. The inhibitory effects of BmK IT2, a scorpion neurotoxin on rat nociceptive flexion reflex and a possible mechanism for modulating voltage-gated Na(+) channels. Neuropharmacology. 2001; 40(3):352-7.
- Tan ZY, Mao X, Xiao H, Zhao ZQ, Ji YH. Buthus martensi Karsch agonist of skeletal-muscle RyR-1, a scorpion active polypeptide: antinociceptive effect on rat peripheral nervous system and spinal cord, and inhibition of voltage-gated Na(+) currents in dorsal root ganglion neurons. Neurosci Lett. 2001; 297(2):65-8.
- Li YJ, Tan ZY, Ji YH.The binding of BmK IT2, a depressant insect-selective scorpion toxin on mammal and insect sodium channels. Neurosci Res. 2000; 38(3):257-64.
- Wang CY, Tan ZY, Chen B, Zhao ZQ, Ji YH. Antihyperalgesia effect of BmK IT2, a depressant insect-selective scorpion toxin in rat by peripheral administration. Brain Res Bull. 2000;3(3):335-8.